Ferguson Point is an elevated point on the west side of Stanley Park. It offers magnificent views west towards the ocean! During the second world war there was a gun battery located here. The Teahouse restaurant is in what was the officers building.
Ferguson Point is named after A.G. Ferguson, who was an American, and one of the first park commissioners. He loved Stanley Park so much that when the annual maintenance money was used up, he paid the bills for the rest of the year until the next year's amount was available. And it was reported that some years he paid a large sum! He purchased prime property on Hastings Street and became very wealthy. He and his wife had no children so they left some money to their niece, Grace Ceperley, with a suggestion that she create a playground in Stanley Park for the children. As it happens, she did just that and the whole area (Ceperley Park, Ceperley Meadow) around the playground (and second beach) in Stanley Park is named after her!
The plaque says:
This area was the site of a coast defence fort manned during World War II 1939-1945
by The Royal Canadian Artillery
Batteries: 31st Heavy, 58th Heavy, 85th Heavy
Ferguson Point is located on the west side of Stanley Park between Third Beach and Second Beach. The Teahouse restaurant is located there. Also, there is the Ferguson Point plaque and Burma Forces plaque. Also there is the E. Pauline Johnson memorial.
|Please share this page:||Tweet|
|Events Calendar||Art(14)||Info Booth||Hotels(7)||Locations(15)||Parking|
|Activities(22)||Monuments(2)||Wild Animals||Picnic Areas(6)||Coal Harbour||Bus Loop|
|Children(5)||Memorials(7)||Mysteries||Services||English Bay||Contact Us|
|Sports Facilities(13)||Cairns(7)||Past||Gift Shops(2)||False Creek||Map|
|Free Travel Checklist||Free Grocery Checklist|